I know, I know. I may be a bit late to the spinning craze. But hey! I bet there are a number of you out there who are like me a few weeks ago – an indoor cycling virgin who’s thinking of trying out this fitness trend. So if you are one of those, or an experienced “spinner” looking to try other studios, or just a curious soul here to know more, please do read on! I write to inform. 🙂
So a few weeks ago, I tried spinning or indoor cycling for the very first time. It’s part of my quarter-life crisis resolution to experience things. 😉 Spinning trended in Manila in 2016. And although an article made that year classifies Spinning as “Not Hot” for global fitness trends of 2017, there remains a decent following of the exercise here in Manila with cycling studios opening here and there. One of my best friends has been urging me to try it for a while now and I finally did!
Pauline (the BFF) spins at Elorde Plus at BF Homes in Paranaque. If you’re searching for a “cheap” spinning class in Metro Manila, look no further! Guuurl (I say this with energy from watching Tiffany Hadish in the MTV Movie Awards), guuurl you gotta love the price point of spinning here. It’s Php 250 per session, Php 199 if you’re a member. And if that doesn’t entice you to head on over there now then let me say it’s FREE for your first time AND FREE. ON. FRIDAYS. Whut???
Of course it wouldn’t be exactly the same as studios dedicated for indoor cycling. I heard some had live DJs and I bet it would be so fun to spin with that, but I think Elorde Plus is exceptional for what you’d be paying for in comparison. Especially if you’re not yet sure you can commit to it regularly yet. You can check out other studios in this article to help you decide. Note that that was from 2016, so prices may have changed. 🙂
Okay, let me cut to the chase of this experience – I DIED. A session lasts an hour and I tapped out 20 minutes into it. I literally stepped out of my bike and sulked in a corner in disappointment. HAHA!
A few things I think I need to share so you can gauge if you’ll encounter the same fate (hopefully not) –
- I’m 5’2 and I weigh 98 lbs as of the time I spun
- I was fit… in high school. Hahaha! I was a dancer and a gymnast but come college I had no fitness commitment. I’m writing this because I thought my fit past would resurrect and help me. It did not. :))
- I became slightly fit in 2016 with boxing which I tried doing around once a week up to the 3rd quarter of the year. In 2017 – 2018 I boxed wayyy less; from once a month then once a quarter.
- I think I jogged 2km around 3 weeks before I spun. But really, I cannot recall what or when my last form of exercise was before this haha! I had no regular exercise.
- I don’t do cardio activities well. I punch hard in boxing, once held the high score in that Timezone boxing machine, but I tire too easily. And I think I have a weak bottom half. Hence, my aversion to Muay Thai.
- My boyfriend tells me I eat too little but I think I eat enough. I don’t eat too much rice but I never starve myself nor do I prevent myself from eating until I’m satisfied. I maintain a good relationship with all food groups. This means I eat my veggies and protein but I eat that huge bag of Doritos too. 🙂
All those being said, I died with spinning. It was INSANE. Well at least for me. My legs hurt so bad and I couldn’t breathe! Our warm up felt like the training and 5 minutes into it I questioned how first-timers survive. Because yes, if you do it regularly, most likely your body will adjust. But those who are trying it for the first time and finished that one-hour session? You are AMAZING by my standards!
Tapped out in 20 minutes! Do check out my vlog for what I think is an amusing watch of how I faired haha, linking it below. 🙂
Oh and my sister was kind enough to send me an article that talks about what exercises are best for your blood type. Read about it here. Seeing that those with blood type B are better fit for pilates or tai chi made me feel better hahaha!
I honestly don’t think I’ll do this again but it may be just what YOU need! If you want to give it a try, you know where to go! 😉